Sunday, October 5, 2014

Bell Pepper Nachos (Dairy Free)

I am constantly trying to come up with ways to add more veggies into our diet- like many families, I'm sure!  Even if we do have good ways to do it, we are not very good about planning ahead to get them cooked.  When I was searching for recipes for nacho cheese, I skipped over a site that had bell pepper nachos.  Their recipe used regular cheese, so I didn't think much about it after that.  Then it dawned on me that I could make it my own way.  I never paid much attention to what was in it after seeing the cheese, but remember they looked a lot like traditional nachos, subbing the bell pepper for the chips. So here is my, rather tasty, bell pepper nachos!

Ingredients
mini bell peppers (enough to fill a baking sheet or whatever size baking pan will feed you/your family)
1 can traditional refried beans
chopped chicken
Dairy free nacho cheese
1 avocado

Step 1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Cut heads off mini bell peppers, remove seeds, and cut in half length-wise.  Place on baking sheet.
Step 2. Using a butter knife, spread a thin layer of refried beans inside bell peppers.  Sprinkle chopped chicken on top of refried beans.
Step 3. Prepare Dairy free nacho cheese as directed.  Drizzle over 'nachos.'
Step 4. Place in over on bottom rack, and bake 7-8 minutes until bell peppers are hot, but still crunchy.
Step 5. Remove from oven and place on plate.  Cut small pieces of avocado and distribute over 'nachos.'
Step 6. ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment