Sunday, January 18, 2015

Spaghetti Carbona- Allergen Free

 This is one of my all-time favorite meals. I always requested it for my birthday dinner growing up. Now that we are on an allergen free diet, I have avoided it.  Not because we can't use gluten free pasta, but I just wasn't sure of using the dairy free cheese.  But I have gotten used to eating it in small amounts.  My mom avoids pretty much all carbs and sugar.  She had tried my favorite recipe using spaghetti squash and she and my dad devoured it.  I HATE squash, meaning even the thought of it gags me! When we were out visiting my parents at Christmas, she had put spaghetti squash in her soup- I tried it.  Not too bad!  I cooked some in with an Asian noodle mix I made the other day- couldn't really tell it was in there.  So we decided to try the ultimate test using the remainder of the squash!  The results were quite surprisingly tasty!  The baby ate 3 heaps.  The oldest ate a good sized toddler serving.  My husband ate it, saying if he hadn't known that it was squash in it, he wouldn't have suspected.  The middle son doesn't count;)  He doesn't eat much for noodles to begin with, and prefers mostly bland food, so not surprisingly he said he didn't like it!  Our whole pot of it was gone by the end of dinner though!  The following is the recipe I used.  The original recipe calls for mushrooms and onions.  I didn't add those because I was trying to get the boys to eat it!

Ingredients:
3/4 of spaghetti squash
1/2 pound bacon
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/8 c Earth Balance non-dairy, soy free butter
1/8 c. Chedder Daiya cheese
 3 egg yolks beaten

Step 1. Cook spaghetti squash in microwave by slicing 1 side and placing sliced side down in 1/4 c water and microwave for 7 minutes. While it is cooking, cook bacon so it is crispy. When done, break into small pieces. When squash is done, slice open and remove seeds.  Use a fork to pull out the 'spaghetti.'
Step 2. Saute green pepper (and if you choose to, onions and mushrooms)
Step 3. Place 'spaghetti' in pot and cook until soft and most of the moisture is out.  After cooked, melt butter in pot.
Step 4. Add bacon and peppers and toss well.
Step 5. Add cheese mixing well and allow to melt.
Step 6. Add pepper to taste.
Step 7. Add egg yolks and toss everything together.
Serve and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment